To be considered for lateral entry as an experienced firefighter you must satisfy the following:
- Hold a Certificate III in Public Safety (Firefighting and Emergency Operations PUA 30619) – or equivalent; and
- Minimum of four* years’ experience as a career firefighter; and
- Been employed by a career firefighting agency as a career firefighter within the last 2-3 years
Based on the criteria above, Tasmania Fire Service will consider the applications of career firefighters from state-based career firefighting agencies in Australia:
- Queensland Fire and Rescue
- New South Wales Fire and Rescue
- Fire Rescue Victoria
- South Australia Country Fire Service
- SA Metropolitan Fire Service
- WA Fire and Rescue Service
- ACT Fire and Rescue
- NT Fire and Rescue Service
We will also consider applications from firefighters from Fire Emergency New Zealand and Aviation Rescue Firefighting (Air Services Australia).
When we receive your application we’ll conduct a gap analysis to determine whether your qualifications compare to a career firefighter in Tasmania and the rank you’ll hold if you’re successful in your application and accept a position.
*While four years is the minimum requirement, candidates within six months may be considered through the application process depending on level of experience and competencies.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
Currently it is stated in the Firefighter Statement of Duties that a person is to provide evidence that they are vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption when applying for these positions. However, this is currently under review and people who do not meet this criteria are encouraged to submit their application in the event this mandate changes.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team in a variety of situations.
- An ability to undertake manual tasks and to acquire skills, knowledge and competence.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
- A demonstrated capacity to use initiative and judgement.
- A demonstrated capacity to work in a manner that is consistent with the TFS values of service, professionalism, integrity and consideration.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and maintain a safe workplace.
- Meet the medical and fitness requirements of the TFS.
- Able to work effectively at heights and in confined spaces.
- Hold a current manual driver’s licence with no restrictions.
- The Head of the State Service has determined that a person nominated for appointment as a Firefighter is to satisfy a pre-employment check before taking up the appointment, promotion or transfer. The following conviction checks are to be conducted:
- Arson and fire setting;
- Sexual offences;
- Crimes involving dishonesty (e.g. theft, burglary, breaking and entering, fraud);
- Crimes involving deception (e.g. obtaining an advantage by deception);
- Making false declarations;
- Violent crimes and crimes against the person; and
- Malicious damage and destruction to property.