Candidates who successfully complete the application process to join the Tasmania Fire Service will become a member of the Trainee Firefighter Development Program.
The Trainee Firefighter Development Program helps you develop into a “Truck Ready” Probationary Firefighter upon graduation.
The program is conducted over a period of 15 weeks at the Cambridge Training Complex. Each week, you’ll be taught an essential firefighting skill, gradually building your overall knowledge.
The program is split into three phases:
The Pre-program phase provides you with basic background knowledge of the TFS, along with firefighting appliances, equipment procedures and terminology.
The building phase of the program consists of 10 skillsets delivered over 10 x 1 week blocks. The blocks serve to build your skills and knowledge.
The consolidation phase consists of the final 5 weeks of the program. During this time you’ll consolidate their learning through; simulated emergency incidents, simulated shift rotations, offsite training activities and practical assessments.
If successful, you’ll gain probationary employment. After successful completion of six months’ probation, you’ll gain permanent employment.
Gain the necessary knowledge, skills and attributes required for promotion to a position of Firefighter.
- Work as a member of a team that responds to emergency incidents.
- Acquire and maintain competencies and pursue opportunities for self-development through participation in learning and development activities.
- Promote community awareness in fire safety and fire prevention through participation in community education programs and the inspection of property, buildings and emergency response equipment.
- Provide basic life support at emergency incidents.
- Operate emergency response vehicles and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Undertake maintenance and testing duties to ensure the readiness of fire service equipment and property.
- Assist with the development of pre-incident plans.
- Provide accurate information in reports and statistical data, including the use of computer systems as required.
Level of Responsibility
Responsible to the immediate supervisor for:
- Behaving in a manner consistent with Tasmania Fire Service (TFS) Values;
- The gaining of competencies in emergency response and community fire safety activities to a level required for the position;
- The effective performance of any duties within the employee’s level of competence; and
- Ensuring all work is undertaken according to safe working practices.