There is no such thing as a typical firefighter – we come from all sorts of backgrounds and walks of life.
If you’d like to apply to become a career firefighter, the most important things are your determination, motivation, willingness to learn, and ability to work in a team.
The Tasmania Fire Service continually reviews and revises our recruitment and selection arrangements to improve diversity among candidates, reflecting the community we serve.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
Currently it is stated in the Firefighter Statement of Duties that a person is to provide evidence that they are vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption when applying for these positions. However, this is currently under review and people who cannot meet this criteria are encouraged to submit their application in the event this mandate changes.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team in a variety of situations.
- An ability to undertake manual tasks and to acquire skills, knowledge and competence.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
- A demonstrated capacity to use initiative and judgement.
- A demonstrated capacity to work in a manner that is consistent with the TFS values of service, professionalism, integrity and consideration.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and maintain a safe workplace.
- Meet the medical and fitness requirements of the TFS.
- Able to work effectively at heights and in confined spaces.
- Hold a current manual driver’s licence with no restrictions.
- The Head of the State Service has determined that a person nominated for appointment as a Firefighter is to satisfy a pre-employment check before taking up the appointment, promotion or transfer. The following conviction checks are to be conducted:
- Arson and fire setting;
- Sexual offences;
- Crimes involving dishonesty (e.g. theft, burglary, breaking and entering, fraud);
- Crimes involving deception (e.g. obtaining an advantage by deception);
- Making false declarations;
- Violent crimes and crimes against the person; and
- Malicious damage and destruction to property.
To be considered for the position of a Firefighter you need to successfully complete all 9 Stages of the Application Process – which are:
2. Physical Fitness Assessment (Shuttle Run)
3. Cognitive Ability and Psychometric Assessment
4. Review of Written Application and Shortlisting for Interview