This final stage of the selection process is a pre-employment check.
The Head of the State Service has determined that a person nominated for appointment as a Trainee Firefighter is to satisfy a pre-employment check before taking up appointment, promotion or transfer. A Record of Conviction check will check for the following:
- Arson and fire setting
- Sexual offences
- Crimes involving dishonesty (e.g. theft, burglary, breaking and entering, fraud)
- Crimes involving deception (e.g. obtaining an advantage by deception)
- Making false declarations
- Violent crimes and crimes against a person
- Malicious damage and destruction to property
The purpose of the Record of Conviction check is to ensure that you have no criminal record. The nature of a firefighter’s duties means they have privileged access to property and vulnerable people when on official business or during emergency incidents. Our firefighters must be people who can be trusted in these positions.
If it is likely the Tasmania Fire Service will nominate you for appointment to a position of Trainee Firefighter, you’ll be required to provide a Record of Conviction check from Tasmania Police. TFS will cover the cost of this check provided you completed this process through TFS.